Friday, May 16, 2008



The preceding image has given me many problems since I captured it two summers ago. It is a picture of the big bend of the Colorado River just before it reaches Moab, UT. I couldn't make a split ND filter work for me when I captured it and so was forced to do some pretty major adjustments in post production. I wasn't able to make a blended exposure--partly due to my ineptitude with Photoshop and partly because it never quite looked right. I'm not sure how I feel about blended exposures anyway, so that is probably good. Instead I had to use multiple layer masks to come up with what you see. It still does not quite capture the scene as I saw it that night. The contrast between the bluffs and the river is pretty big. I guess it is still a work in progress. However, I don't want this to become a hugely manipulated image that bears no resemblance to the original capture. I guess this is one of those situations where I have to decide how much originality I am willing to sacrifice for an excellent final product. I did convert the image to BW and included it below. Let me know if you think it comes out okay. The contrast is controlled a lot better when the colors are taken out of the equation.

No comments: